These figures were carved by a German Prisoner of War held at Stobs Camp, near Hawick in the Scottish Borders, during the First World War. They tell a story of a prisoner thinking of home. One carving depicts a German soldier called to the war. The other, dated 1917, shows a wife on her own at home with three hungry children. Food is short and the children are clamouring for a piece of bread. Prisoners produced items to sell, and a Northumberland Fusilier officer on duty at the camp bought these figures.